The Multi-Materials Stewardship Board (MMSB) is a Crown agency of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador that reports to the Minister of Municipalities and Environment. Established in 1996, MMSB develops, implements and manages waste diversion and recycling programs on a province-wide basis for specific waste streams designated by the government.
Since 1996, MMSB has worked with various stakeholders throughout the province to develop and implement recycling and waste diversion programs. These initiatives include the Used Beverage Container Recycling Program, Used Tire Management Program, Used Oil Recycling Program, Residential Backyard Composting Program and Public Education Programs.
As a self-financed Crown agency, MMSB does not receive any funding from the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. Its revenues are derived from levies applied on various waste streams as authorized and prescribed under provincial legislation (presently beverage containers and tires), as well as from the sale of recyclable materials it collects under its various programs.
MMSB’s mandate is derived from the Environmental Protection Act and accompanying Waste Management Regulations, as well as from the Provincial Waste Management Strategy of 2002 and its associated implementation plan of 2007.
- MMSB supports and promotes modern waste management practices in the province, with a particular focus on waste reduction and recycling, as a means of helping to ensure a clean and healthy environment.
- MMSB supports the implementation of the Provincial Waste Management Strategy through the administration of the Newfoundland and Labrador Waste Management Trust Fund.
- MMSB develops and implements province-wide public education initiatives to promote more progressive waste management practices in Newfoundland and Labrador.
MMSB is governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council. The Board is responsible and accountable for the overall business affairs of MMSB and consists of the following representatives:
VACANT, Department of Municipalties and Environment – Chair
John Patten, St. John’s – Beverage Industry Representative
Edward Delaney, Bay Roberts – Member-at-large
Catherine Barrett, Goulds – Member-at-large
Derm Flynn, Appleton – Member-at-large
Don Hann, Port Aux Basques – Member-at-large
Hal Cormier, Corner Brook – Member-at-large
Jocelyn Perry, Conception Bay South – Member-at-large
Maisie Clark, Campbellton – Consumer Representative
Reg Bowers, Labrador, Member-at-large
Neville Greeley, Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador
David Robbins, Newfoundland Environmental Industry Association
- 2015-16 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2014-15 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2013-14 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2012-13 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2011-12 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2010-11 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2009-10 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2008-09 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2007-08 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2006-07 Annual Report (.pdf)
- 2005-06 Annual Report (.pdf)
Completed ATIPP Requests