Construction and demolition (C&D) materials consist of waste generated during the construction, renovation and demolition of buildings, roads and bridges. This often includes concrete, wood, metals, glass and salvaged building components. This material is often problematic, taking up valuable space in a landfill. Reducing and recycling C&D materials conserves landfill space, reduces the environmental impact of producing new products from raw materials and has the potential to reduce project expenses by reducing the amount of waste disposed of at landfill.
Construction and demolition waste accounts for only six percent of Newfoundland and Labrador’s waste stream
Build upon these green tips for your next construction or remodeling project:
- Hire a waste hauler to collect and deliver paper and cardboard to a recycling facility.
- Establish a designated recycling station in the lunch room to collect beverage containers accepted under MMSB’s Beverage Container Recycling Program.
- Recycle food packaging such as cardboard, boxboard and plastic containers where programs are available.
- Ensure that Hazardous Waste is disposed of properly using a certified waste hauler.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of the recycling programs and understand how to properly participate for a successful program.
Demolition and Reclamation
- Make an inventory of the C&D materials that will be generated on site and consider if there are recycling or reuse opportunities in the area where you are working.
- Consider what deconstruction techniques can be used to prepare your site for renovation or construction.
- Establish a donation program for items that are in good condition such as cabinets, doors, windows and flooring. Materials can be resold online or check out Cabot Habitat for Humanity Restore to support a great cause while diverting waste from the landfill.
- Investigate options to use sawdust for compost projects. Sawdust is a desired commodity in the composting industry.
- Look for opportunities to sell materials from renovation projects. For example, scrap metal is one of the easier products to sell to dealers across the province.
- Understand what C&D materials regional landfill facilities accept.